Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Camino Recordings Part Two: A Frustrating Day

[This is a transcript of the second recording I did on El Camino de Santiago]

Today is Saturday, October 31st, and I was supposed to stop in Leon, but

(The recording pauses)

Sorry, I had to stop and go pee, it was an emergency. When I pass through a city and have to go pee, I feel bad just going into a bar to use the restroom without buying something, so then I have to wait until I get into the outskirts to find a tree to pee behind, and by the time that happens I am about ready to pee my pants.

Anyway.

So, today I was supposed to stop in Leon, but when I got there, I didn't have a good feeling. The municipal albergue was really gross and dingy looking, and the last few days I've been staying in some pretty gross albergues so I was looking forward to a nice one, like the one in Burgos, but it did not look like that. So I'm really, really hoping the next city I get to, which is Villadagos, has a nice albergue where I can rest and feel at ease. But also there were these guys in Leon, which, a couple of them were really cool, but one of them, he was this big, old, overweight German dude who kept staring at me like he wanted to eat me, and I didn't really like that so much. It was making me feel pretty gross so I felt like I needed to get out of there. I thought I would stay in La Virgen Del Camino, but there wasn't really an albergue I could see, and there were these people fighting in the street. I don't know, I just had this really weird feeling in Leon, so I am out of there. Which means this is my third day of doing 40 kilometers in a row, and I actually feel really good today, I feel like my legs are really strong. It's like I couldn't stop! I wanted to keep going, it's like my legs don't want to stop, so I've kept going and going and going. BUT I'm really going to have to take a break tomorrow whether I like it or not. I think my body needs at least a half a day of rest.

Can I just say, I hate cars?! I hate them! The Camino the last three days has been along the highway here, and it is so distracting! And not peaceful AT ALL! Here we go, two trucks. (Trucks zoom by). And then a string of cars following (traffic noise in the background). You see what I'm saying? It's not peaceful which is part of the reason why I decided to walk a little farther the last few days.

(Motorcycle zooms past)

GAH Fucking motorcycle! Ughhh

Anyway, that's part of the reason why I decided to walk a little farther because I want to get the hell out of civilization, it's making me crazy! Oh my gosh! I've been spoiled by these small villages that have been in the mountains and so dealing with these big cities with tons of cars along the highway, I hate it. It's making me crazy. I had to get out of there.

It's too bad because I was going to party in Leon tonight, but oh well. Guess I get a night of peace on Halloween.

I'm feeling a bit frustrated today, if you can't tell. I felt like I needed to leave the guys, but I'm sad because I really miss them. I'm hoping that I will see them before the end. I'm about four days ahead, so I'll have a few days to kill in Santiago before my flight leaves, so I'm guessing I'll see the guys again there. I really felt like I needed to leave them, and I still feel that way, but I haven't really fallen into place with a new group yet, and I would like to meet some new people, so I'm hoping in the course of the next few days I meet some new people. And that I get the fuck out of this hell hole of a highway!

Over and out.


No comments:

Post a Comment