Saturday, May 7, 2016

The Netherlands so far...

The Netherlands, Holland, the Land of the Dutch, is a dreamy place.

I arrived Monday night, and was picked up by Alef, the father/husband of the family I am staying with here. Alef, his wife Lynn, their daughter Indy and son Jona all live on an old farm in Muiden, just outside of Amsterdam. A couple years ago Alef and Lynn decided they wanted to create a more simple, sustainable life for them and their children, so they bought this homestead and are slowly transforming it into a garden and eventually a bed and breakfast. I have been helping in the greenhouse, specifically building the garden boxes, lining them, and planting. I'm also helping plant berries in a bed outside their house, in addition to helping with the kids when needed. In exchange for my work, I get free room and board, along with a really authentic experience. I have hung out with Alef and Lynn's friends, family, toured around a bit, and learned a lot about the culture here.

Muiden is a beautiful village with lovely canals and streets. Honestly, so far everywhere I've been here is ideal. Everything is clean, green, and charming. The beaches are really nice and the weather this week has been so nice. The only thing missing are some mountains, and then I think this place would be perfect.

One of the reasons for my trip was to see my friend Adriaan, who came by on Wednesday. More to come on him, but for now I'll just say it was so good to see him. I don't believe there is only one person for you in this world, I think there are a few people who can fit just right. Adriaan is one of my people. It's magic when we are together. I'm waiting for him right now because he is going to show me around Amsterdam this weekend. I have a feeling saying goodbye is going to be very hard...

1 comment:

  1. hello can you help me contact Alef? thank you
    I want visit them too

    ReplyDelete