Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Poetry is alive in the lyrics of songs



I hate the movie Moulin Rouge. Hate it. But here I am, proving my hypocrisy. See if you can name every song used.

I was raised up believing I was somehow unique; a snowflake distinct among snowflakes, unique in each way you can see. But now, after some thinking, I’d say I’d rather be a functioning cog in some great machinery, serving something beyond me. I wish I was a slave to an age old trade, like riding around on railcars and working long days. If I had an orchard I’d work ‘til I’m sore. I am going to blow up my TV, go to the country and build myself a home. Damn that television! We might be better off making up our own shows, which might be better than TV! I wanna touch the earth. I wanna break it in my hands. I wanna grow something wild and unruly. I wanna look at the horizon and not see a building standing tall. I wanna be the only one for miles and miles except for you.

I don’t want to be your friend; I just want to be your lover. No matter how it ends, no matter how it starts. I want to sleep all night in your soul kitchen. I’d like to inject your soul with some sweet rock n roll. I am a steamroller for you, babe. I’d like nothing better than to roll all over you. I want you to tell me “Marie, it was so easy to fall in love with you. It felt almost like a home of sorts or something. Home is whenever I’m with you.”  Because you are the life I needed all along, and I would say I love you but saying it out loud is hard, so I won’t say it at all. I worry that I am an animal trapped in your hot car, I am all the days that you choose to ignore. Take a second look and you'll see there is no one like me.

1 comment:

  1. As melancholy as this is, it made me smile. Good use of lyrics--it ties nicely.

    I've often had the thought, "Is real love like all of the love songs ever written? The "I want your sex" ones and the "I miss you" ones and the "you're the only one for me" ones and the "I can't help it, even though you broke my heart" ones and the "we'll be together forever" ones all rolled up into one big, giant feeling of complete and utter helplessness-meets-control emotion?

    Just a thought/question.

    ReplyDelete